If you're looking for ways to grow your business, you should consider implementing eCommerce solutions and selling online. It can help you reach more customers and sell more products/services.
In this blog post, we will discuss 5 different eCommerce solutions that can help you grow your business via multichannel selling. We will also provide tips on how to choose the right design for your business and how to implement eCommerce solutions effectively.
Table of contents:
What are e-Commerce solutions?
eCommerce solutions are a type of software that helps businesses sell products and services online on multiple channels. eCommerce solutions can help you start selling, reach more customers, process orders faster, and manage your inventory more efficiently.
Also, eCommerce solutions can help you provide a better customer experience by offering features such as customer reviews, product recommendations, and live chat. There are many different eCommerce solutions available, so it's important to choose one that's right for your business.
What are the 3 types of e-commerce?
B2C (business to consumer)
B2C is an eCommerce where a business sells products or services to consumers. It's the most common type of eCommerce as you can shop from the comfort of your home. eg. Amazon
B2B (business to business)
B2B is when a business sells products or services to other businesses. We could call it wholesale as well. eg. Shopify
C2C (consumer to consumer)
C2C it's the second most popular eCommerce solution, which means consumers sell merchandise or services to other consumers. eg. eBay
Differences in eCommerce solutions
These are all-in-one solutions that provide everything you need to create and run your own online store. Most eCommerce platforms usually include a website builder, shopping cart, payment processor, and customer support.
This eCommerce allows you to accept credit cards and other forms of payments. Payments usually have a fee per transaction.
These solutions help you manage shipping and delivery. Shipping providers usually have a fee per shipment.
These eCommerce solutions help you manage your inventory and order fulfilment. The solutions usually have a monthly fee.
5 Best eCommerce platforms
An eCommerce platform is essential for small businesses and large that want to sell products and services online. The right platform can make or break your eCommerce business.
There are other platforms out there, and it can be overwhelming to choose the right one for your business. To help you out, we’ve compiled a list of the best eCommerce platforms for businesses of all sizes.
Shopify is an eCommerce solution that helps businesses of all sizes sell online. It has eCommerce functionality like creating an online store, including a shopping cart, inventory control, and secure checkout.
Shopify is a good choice for businesses that want an all-in-one eCommerce solution, that is easy to use for anyone without online shop experience. There are many themes to choose from that start from $0 but they have transaction fees that are worth to look at.
Shopify monthly pricing plans and FAQs:
Lite - $9, Basic - $29, Professional - $79, Advanced - $299
- Is it good for startups?
Shopify is a great option for those who want an easy-to-use and maintain eCommerce. The user interface makes it possible to build websites without any programming knowledge or design experience, which means that anyone can create their own store.
- Does it integrate with Amazon?
Yes, it does. You can list your products on Amazon and other marketplaces from your Shopify admin.
- Can I cancel anytime?
Sure, you can cancel your Shopify plan at any time. Runs on a month-to-month basis, so you're not locked into any long-term contracts.
Impress your customers with professional templates and layouts that you can access from BigCommerce. The world's leading cloud-based platform for businesses of any size.
BigCommerce monthly pricing plans and FAQs:
Standard - $29.95, Plus - $79.95*, Pro - $299.95*, Enterprise - Contact for quote.
- How much cost a BigCommerce theme?
BigCommerce has a wide range of themes that are available for free or paid premiums.
- Any third-party integrations?
The eCommerce software is compatible with iPhone and Android, and also partners with Mailchimp, QuickBooks, and Inventory Source.
- Shopify vs BigCommerce?
They both are good however, Shopify is more affordable, but BigCommerce has more built-in features and doesn't charge transaction fees.
Zoho Corporation is an eCommerce solution that has a wide variety of features, including an existing website builder, shopping cart and payment processor, plus an easy-to-use customizable dashboard. Transaction fees vary on the payment getaway.
Zoho monthly pricing plans and FAQs:
Starter - $27, Professional - $75, Advanced - $175
- Why choose Zoho eCommerce?
It's an affordable and powerful platform that has many eCommerce functionalities. The highlight is that it can be integrated with other Zoho products, such as accounting and CRM software and SEO tools.
- Is there a free plan or trial period?
The platform doesn't offer a free plan but there is a free trial for 30 days.
- Does the paid plan come with web hosting?
Yes, all plans include free hosting and the site is secured with an SSL certificate. Also, integrates with FB pixel, Google shopping and Mailchimp.
4. Adobe Commerce
Previously Magneto, Adobe Commerce is a cloud-based eCommerce solution that offers businesses a flexible and scalable solution. Built for heavy traffic and an easy checkout process.
Adobe Commerce monthly pricing plans and FAQs:
Prices are not disclosed on the website, offers a free open-source solution and the platform has to be contacted for paid plans.
- Who's Adobe eCommerce for?
The platform is specifically built for large-size businesses and eCommerce enterprises that want a scalable solution. It's technical and may not be a good option for small businesses.
- Are there free plans?
Provides both free and paid plans. Free plans don't include hosting and payment processing fees and paid plans are calculated based on the business's annual gross merchandise value.
- How's their customer support?
The company offers 24/7 customer support which has been reviewed on different websites by clients. They provide help through phone and email.
CubeCart is a flexible, feature-rich eCommerce solution that lets you sell digital products or physical items online without the need for any technical knowledge. An open-source platform that offers good customization options and extensive features built-in.
CubeCart monthly pricing plans and FAQs:
Self-hosted - Free, Unmanaged - $33, Managed - $53, Managed Pro - $79
- Is it free to use?
Yes, CubeCart is a free eCommerce software that can be used by any online business to build and market their online store.
- What payment gateways are available?
Support a wide range of payment gateways from PayPal to SagePay.
- What are the pros and cons of the platform?
Pros: rich features, technical support, restore and backup options. Cons: no phone support, you need coding skills for extensive modification, maintenance and hosting in the free version.
Read more interesting articles:
eCommerce software benefits
eCommerce softwares provide a wide range of benefits to businesses of all sizes. Some of the most notable benefits include:
- Increased sales: eCommerce makes it easy for customers to find and purchase your products or services online, 24/7.
- Improved customer service: eCommerce provides customers with a self-service option that can save you and them time and money.
- Increased efficiency: eCommerce automates many of the processes that are necessary to run successful business online stores, including order processing, inventory management, and shipping.
- Lower costs: it can save you money on overhead costs, such as rent and utilities.
- Greater reach: eCommerce gives you the ability to sell your products or services to a global market.
eCommerce software drawbacks
- Limited customization options: You may be limited in terms of how much you can customize the eCommerce software to match your branding and specific needs.
- Lack of control: With eCommerce software, you're generally renting' rather than own website. This can be problematic if the software company goes out of business or decides to change its terms of service.
- Limited scalability: eCommerce software may not be able to keep up with the growth of your business. If you start to experience a lot of traffic or sales, you may need to upgrade to a more robust solution.
- High costs: eCommerce software can be expensive, especially if you need to add on features or scale-up.
- Security risks: eCommerce software may not be as secure as you need it to be, particularly if you're handling sensitive customer data. Make sure to do your research and choose a reputable eCommerce software provider.
Self-Hosted vs. Cloud-based?
When it comes to eCommerce solutions, there are two main types: self-hosted and cloud-based. It's important to weigh factors against your specific needs to decide which option is right for you.
If you need a more scalable solution or complete control over your eCommerce, self-hosted may be the way to go. If you're looking for an easier-to-manage solution that's more affordable, cloud-based eCommerce may be a better option.
Self-Hosted eCommerce Platform:
Pros of Self-Hosted:
- You have complete control over your platform and can customize it to match your branding and specific needs.
- You own your data and don't have to worry about eCommerce going out of business or changing its terms of service.
- Self-hosted platforms are generally more scalable than cloud-based solutions.
Cons of Self-Hosted:
- Self-hosted eCommerce software can be more expensive than cloud-based solutions.
- You're responsible for maintaining and securing your eCommerce store.
- Self-hosted eCommerce software can be more difficult to set up and manage than cloud-based solutions.
Cloud Hosted eCommerce Platform:
Pros of Cloud-Based:
- Cloud-based platforms are generally more affordable than a self-hosted eCommerce solution.
- Cloud-based eCommerce is easier to set up and manage than self-hosted solutions.
- Cloud-based solutions are more secure than self-hosted solutions.
Cons of Cloud-Based:
- You don't have as much control over a cloud-based eCommerce space and may be limited in terms of customization.
- You don't own your data and may be at the mercy of the platform if they go out of business or change their terms of service.
- Cloud-based eCommerce sites may not be as scalable as self-hosted solutions.
Which online store to select
- If you are just starting a business and are low on budget Shopify is the recommended platform as it has all the basics and is eCommerce ready.
- If you have a budget and are looking for more features and control over the design of your website then Woocommerce is the better solution for an online store.
- For businesses with a large online presence and high traffic levels, Adobe Commerce is the platform of choice.
- And finally, for businesses that want to move away from a traditional eCommerce platform and use headless commerce, BigCommerce is the recommended solution.
Hire a freelance web designer or web design agency
eCommerce design can be a complex process, and if you're not familiar with the ins and outs of eCommerce, it's best to hire a freelance web designer or a web design agency that specializes in eCommerce design like our website designing agency Fit Design.
- Freelancers: may be cheaper than an agency and work around your schedule, but they may not have as much eCommerce experience. Also, all the tools that require to optimize a website for web traffic cost higher-end subscriptions that might not be in their budget.
- Web Design Agency: more expensive than a freelancer, but they will have a team of eCommerce experts who can help you with everything from design to development to marketing. Also, can offer existing WordPress site integration, custom domain options and mobile apps.
SEO optimization of an eCommerce site
Search engine optimization is a process of optimizing an eCommerce website for Google so it can rank higher in search results. The goal of SEO is to get the website to the top of the first page on the search engines results page (SERP).
SEO features for an eCommerce online businesses:
- Optimizing product pages for relevant keywords
- Creating unique and keyword-rich titles and descriptions
- Adding image tags and alternative text
- Creating a sitemap
- Setting up Google Analytics
- Implementing schema markup
- Creating engaging and keyword-rich blog content
- Creating backlinks from high-quality websites
The eCommerce website should also be responsive so it can be easily accessed and navigated on all devices. A responsive eCommerce website will have a positive impact on SEO as it is considered mobile-friendly by Google.
The most SEO customizable eCommerce store is Adobe Commerce as it offers several features and plugins to help with SEO.
WooCommerce is the second most SEO customizable eCommerce platform that exists for now. It is also one of the eCommerce platforms that is used most by developers because it’s so easy to use and modify.
eCommerce platforms come in a variety of shapes and sizes, each with its own set of pros and cons. It can be difficult to decide which eCommerce platform is right for your business model as some have also drag-and-drop functionality if you lack coding skills. The best eCommerce platform for your business will depend on a number of factors, including your budget, the size and scope of your business, your technical skills, and your eCommerce goals.
When deciding which eCommerce platform to use for your business, it’s important to consider your budget, the size and scope of your business, your technical skills, and your eCommerce goals. Once you have a good understanding of your needs, you can start to narrow down your options and find the best eCommerce platform for your business.
If you need help with online selling and find the best open-source eCommerce software our eCommerce design London studio can help you. Our expert web designers have a lot of experience with different eCommerce platforms and can advise you on the best eCommerce solution, shopping cart software and popular eCommerce platforms as well as marketing strategies.