There are many different ways to design a website. In the early days, most people chose to use website builders. However, CMS web design has become more popular over time. In this article, we will explore the pros and cons of CMS web design in 2022. We will also take a look at some of the best CMS options available on the market.
Table of contents:
- CMS vs Website Builder: Differences
- What is a CMS in web design
- Best CMS
- What is a website builder
- Best Web Builder
- What are the 3 different types of CMS
- How do I choose a content management system
- Frequently asked questions
CMS software vs website builder: What are the main differences?
With CMS web design, you have more control over the look and feel of your website. You can customize your website to match your brand and personality. With a website builder, you are limited to the templates provided.
CMS platforms gives you more flexibility to make changes to your website as needed. If you want to add a new page or make changes to your existing pages, you can do so without having to contact your web designer.
With a website builder, any changes you want to make will need to be made through the builder’s dashboard which can be time-consuming and frustrating.
CMS software enables you to easily update your website content yourself. This means that you can keep your website up-to-date with the latest news, products and services without having to wait for someone else to do it for you.
With a website builder, you will need to contact the builder’s support team in order to make any updates which can be slow and frustrating.
A CMS platform is better for SEO than a website builder. They are built with SEO in mind which means that your website will rank higher in search engines than multiple websites built with a website builder since they are limited to a template.
CMS web design can be more expensive than website builders. This is because you will need to hire a web designer or developer to create your website. However, you will save money in the long run as you will be able to make changes and updates yourself without having to pay someone else to do it.
Overall, CMS software is more flexible, powerful and affordable option than website builders. If you are looking for a professional-looking website that you can easily update yourself.
What is CMS design?
In a nutshell, CMS web design stands for Content Management System and is a way to manage content on your website. A CMS platform like Webflow, Drupal, or Typo3 allows you to create, edit and publish content without having to know how to code.
In addition, CMS software provides a user-friendly interface "UI" that makes it easy to manage your web content. The CMS platforms are also SEO-friendly, which means your website can rank higher on search engine results pages.
Armed with good CMS platforms you can make the website design and development process much easier. With easy drag-and-drop features, you can create a beautiful website without any coding knowledge while some content management system "CMS" is open-source and free.
Pros of CMS
- Easy to use: many come with user-friendly interfaces that allow you to create and edit your content without having to write a line of code. This makes them a great choice for people who are not familiar with coding or web development.
- Customizable: you can change the look and feel of your website by editing the CSS or using templates and plugins. This makes them a good choice for people who want more control over their website design.
- Scalable: if you plan on expanding your website in the future, you'll need a CMS that can handle increased traffic and complexity. WordPress and Webflow are both good choices for website expansion.
- Offer a wide range of features: from simple blogs to complex e-commerce websites, there is a CMS platform to suit every need. This makes it easy to find the right platform for your website.
Cons of CMS
- Complex and difficult to use: many content management systems have complex interfaces that can be difficult for people who are not familiar with coding or web development to use.
- Expensive: some of the more advanced content management systems can be quite expensive, which may not be suitable for everyone's budget.
- Require technical support: many content management systems require technical support in order to troubleshoot problems. This can be a hassle if you don't have any technical knowledge.
Best CMS platform
There are many great content management systems, however, we looked at functionality, features and price to find the best CMS platform for small and mid-size businesses.
- WordPress: is a popular open-source content management system that offers a wide range of features and plugins. It is easy to use, however it can be quite expensive if you need to add premium plugins or themes.
- Webflow: is a visual CMS platform that offers an easy to use drag & drop interface. It is relatively new but it is already gaining popularity among web designers and developers. A great choice for creative agencies and brands that wants to stand out.
- Drupal: is an open-source CMS that offers a wide range of features. It can be difficult to use, however it is very scalable and can handle large websites.
- Magento: is an open-source eCommerce content management system that offers a wide range of features. It can be expensive to set up and is only suitable for larger businesses that are planning on selling products in the online store.
What is a website builder?
A website builder is a software program that allows you to create a website without any coding or special design experience. All you need to do is select a template, add your content and publish your website.
Website builders are easy to use and are ideal for small businesses or individuals who don’t have the budget to hire a web developer but still want a professional-looking website. Also, most website builders come with web hosting and a domain name so you don’t have to worry about those things either.
Website builder Pros
- Website building platforms are generally more cost-effective than hiring a full-time web developer.
- They are much easier to use than traditional CMS platforms, making them ideal for beginner website builders.
- Come with a wide range of templates and designs that you can customize to match your brand or business.
- You can usually create a fully functional website in a matter of minutes, without any prior coding experience.
- Website builders are often updated with the latest features and technologies, ensuring that you always have the latest tools at your disposal.
Website builder Cons
- Quite limited in terms of features and customization options.
- If you need to make significant changes to your website, you may need to hire a developer to help you out.
- Most builders are not as scalable as traditional C M S platforms, meaning that they may not be suitable for businesses with large or complex websites.
- It can be difficult to find quality web developers who are familiar with web builders.
- Site builder platforms can often be quite inflexible, making it difficult to change the design or layout of your website once it is built.
Best web builders
- Wix: is a popular website builder that offers a wide range of features and templates.
- Weebly: is another popular website builder that offers an easy to use drag & drop interface. It is great for businesses that want to create a simple website without any frills.
- Squarespace: is a popular website builder that offers a wide range of features and templates. It can be quite expensive if you need to add premium plugins or themes.
- Shopify: is an eCommerce website builder that offers a wide range of features. It can be expensive to set up and is only suitable for businesses that are planning on selling products in online store.
What are the 3 different types of content management systems?
I. Open source CMS
This means it's free to use while they are often created by volunteers and are available for anyone to download and use. There are many different open source options available and they all have their own benefits and drawbacks.
Open source "OS" is a great option for small businesses or individuals who want to create a website but don't have the money to hire a web developer. It is also a good option for people who want more control over their web design as it allows you to customize your web design and add features that are not available in website builders.
However, open source can be a bit more difficult to use than website builders. They also require more technical knowledge and if you don't have any experience with coding or web development, you may find it difficult to customize the site. Popular options include WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal.
II. Proprietary CMS
Is owned by a single company and unlike an open source, proprietary CMS is not free to use. You must purchase a license in order to use them and it comes with a variety of features.
They are easier to use than OS but less customizable.
If you want to add features that are not available in the default version, you may have to hire a developer. This can be expensive and time-consuming. Some of the well known are ExpressionEngine, SiteCore or Kentico.
III. Cloud-based CMS
Cloud-based CMS is hosted online. This means that you don't have to download or install them on your own computer but you can access them from any device with an internet connection.
It's a great option for people who want a content management system that is easy to use and accessible from anywhere.
How do I choose a content management system?
1. What kind of website do you want to create?
There are many different types of content management systems available, so it's important to choose one that will suit your needs. If you want to create a simple website with a few pages, a basic C M S like WordPress or Joomla might be a good option. If you need more features and flexibility, you might want to consider a more advanced system like Drupal or Webflow.
2. How much experience do you have with coding?
If you're not familiar with coding, you'll likely need to use CMS platforms that offer a visual editor so you can create and edit your content without having to write a line of code. Weebly and Wix both offer visual editors, as well as drag-and-drop builders that make it easy to create complex websites without any particular coding knowledge.
3. How much technical support do you need?
Content management systems can be quite complex, so if you're not comfortable troubleshooting problems yourself, you may need a system that offers good technical support. Many popular CMS platforms offer free support forums or paid support plans with dedicated support staff.
4. How much money do you want to spend?
Most content management system "CMS" are free or have low-cost options, but some of the more advanced systems can be expensive. It's important to choose a system that fits your budget without compromising on features or usability.
5. What are your future plans for your website?
If you plan on expanding your website in the future, you'll need a good CMS that's easy to scale. Webflow and WordPress are both good choices for website expansion as they are both flexible and offer a wide range of plugins and themes.
Frequently asked questions - FAQs
What is CMS platform good for?
A CMS platform is good for creating and managing a website's content. It can be used to create a custom website design or to build a website using a website builder.
How much experience I need to use a website builder?
You don't need any experience to use a website builder. You can create a website by simply dragging and dropping pre-made blocks of content onto the page.
Which is better for digital marketing?
There is no definitive answer when it comes to deciding which is better for digital marketing - a CMS web design or a website builder. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages which should be considered before making a decision.
- A CMS web design can provide more flexibility and control over the design and functionality of a website. However, this can require more experience and technical knowledge to use.
- A website builder is simpler to use and can be good for those without any design or coding experience. It can also be more affordable than using a CMS platform although you will need plugins to add more functionality and a better digital marketing presence.
What is UI?
Front end/UI, or user interface, refers to the design of a website or application. It encompasses everything from the layout and colours used to the buttons and text. A good UI makes using a website or application easy and enjoyable for users.
What is UX?
UX, or user experience, refers to the overall experience a user has when using a website or application. This includes everything from how easy it is to find what they are looking for to how visually pleasing the website is. A good UX makes using a website or application an enjoyable experience, which encourages users to return again in the future.
What is a dynamic site?
Dynamic sites are web pages that are updated regularly with new content - images, text. example new products, blog posts, social media. This can be done manually by the site owner or through a content management system that allows users to add and edit content without any coding knowledge.
CMS web design has become more popular in recent years as it offers more flexibility and control over the design and functionality of a website. However, this can require more experience and technical knowledge to use than a website builder.
Website builders are simpler to use and can be good for those without any design or coding experience. It can also be more affordable than using a CMS platform.
Both website builders and CMS platforms have their own advantages and disadvantages in the enterprise level, so it's important to consider what your needs are before making pricing decision.